Skip to main content

Undergraduate Degree Program Info for Bachelors of Science

The undergraduate program in Communication Sciences and Disorders is designed to provide students with solid pre-professional training in the basic nature of human communication and disorders of communication. Students receive thorough grounding in the biological, psychological, physical, and linguistic bases of communication through completion of both basic liberal arts core requirements and specialized courses in the Communication Sciences and Disorders Program. The coursework prepares students for the professional training they will receive in a master's degree program in either Speech-Language Pathology or Audiology. At the undergraduate level, students do not specialize in either Speech-Language Pathology or Audiology; the degree is a general one in Communication Sciences and Disorders. However, flexibility in the program does allow students to pursue any specific interests within the field.

Guided clinical experiences during the undergraduate program foster the clinical skills that students will need for clinical practica in their graduate program. Students observe diagnosis and treatment of clients with a wide variety of disorders and they may participate in preschool screening programs, which identify those children who may be at risk for speech, language, or hearing problems.

Undergraduate Admissions

Individuals not currently enrolled at Syracuse University (i.e. high school seniors and transfer students from other universities) must complete and submit an official Syracuse University Undergraduate Application Form. Applications for admission and for financial aid may be obtained from Syracuse University, Office of Admissions. Contact them for an application by email:, or by phone: 315-443-3611. The application can be obtained at:

Students who are currently enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences at Syracuse University may declare a major in Communication Sciences and Disorders after successful completion of CSD 212 with a grade of B or better and after meeting with a CSD academic advisor.

Students who are currently enrolled within another school or college within the university must transfer into the College of Arts and Sciences in order to declare a major in Communication Sciences and Disorders. This transfer is accomplished by an intra-university transfer form, which can be obtained from the academic advising offices in the individual schools and colleges.

Some students pair CSD major with the Neuroscience ILM. To learn more about the Neuroscience ILM, click here.

Financial Support

Financial support for undergraduate students is administered through the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid. Students who wish to reveive for financial aid must complete and submit the appropriate forms. These forms may be obtained from the Office of Financial Aid, 200 Archbold, Syracuse, NY 13244. Phone: (315) 443-1513.